Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 11, 2011

A Mosaic of Hope Quilt from Caroline


Happy Monday everyone! :)  I hope you've all had happy and productive weekends.  I am slowly crossing things off my to-do list, more pattern writing, turning appliqué digital, a quick baby shower gift and binding to cut, but for the most part I feel ahead of the game.  Ask me how I feel in two weeks :)  

Today's feature is Caroline from Artfully @ Atelier Caroline.  She's got a really fun blog, with cute tutorials, my favorite one is this.  Today she's sharing a really great quilt but with a much bigger meaning for someone important in her life.

This is the project that took up the largest chunk of my time over the past 2 week. The quilt is for my father in law. I knew I wanted to make a quilt for him when we found out how seriously sick he is. What I didn't know then is that one of the side effects of the treatments he is receiving is that you get very sensitive to cold. So it turns out this quilt will be not only a gift for moral support but also a great help during the treatments! 

When I started I didn't have a particular design in mind other than I wanted to put together all kinds of shades of blue. There are 5 shades of blue on each side. At this point it is hard to call one side is the top and one is the bottom, I love how both sides turned out. The blue in my mind represent hope and the square shape strength. 
Even as I was piecing the first side I had not decided how the border would be. I even started laying out blocks for the second side when the idea came to use one extra navy blue block on each border to echo the diamond layout I was working on.






The quilting is very simple, just in the ditch. I think it works quite well with the solid fabrics I picked out



This past weekend we had a very spring like weather and after sweeping our back patio I took advantage of the lovely light to take some pictures that show the true colors of the quilt. 



I believe my father in law will like it - even though his favorite color is green



Photobucket

7 comments:

Dorian said...

Thats lovely. I'm sure your Father will love it.

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I love this. The dark blue blocks are so creative!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Beautiful, Caroline. And I KNOW he will love it. Thoughtful and amazing gift.

Alisa said...

It's a beautiful quilt! He will love it.

Charity said...

I'm sure he will love it, not for the color or warmth. But because you cared enough to make it for him.

Anonymous said...

That's lovely! It will warm his body and his heart, I'm sure. What a wonderful expression of your love for him.
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Christie describeHappy said...

It this really beautiful! I like how the cornerstones jut into the border like that. Bravo!