Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, February 25, 2013

A little something special from Sew Nomadic


Nicole from Sew Nomadic, is a darling girl! Cute as can be with a big heart! Se submitted this quilt to us. She was more excited about her Great Aunt than the quilt she was submitting, which was just so sweet! Nicole is a crafting/quilting/knitting girl etc. And as she says, jack of all trades, master of none. I certainly can relate to that!Be sure to visit Sew Nomadic for some inspiration!

So I was a little nervous about my first post. How'd I do??? I guess I was more nervous to hit that post button and put myself out there then anything else. Its amazing the power a little button can have over you.

Anywho...I thought I would just roll right into the awesome sewing craftasticness!

As a crafting/sewing junkie I find that 99% of the time I am making for others. The moment someone is wrapped up in a quilt I've made for them or is daily using a bag I've sewed especially for them, it makes my heart do kart wheels!  This is why I do what I do, to make others feel happy and loved.

A while back I decided I would make a quilt for a wonderful lady in my life, my great aunt. Her name is Auntie Mary and she is amazing. I love her more then anything. She immigrated from the Czech Republic when she was very young and is a true actualization of the American dream. She worked her way into owning her own business, learning English all by herself and making a real life for her and her family. She is so important to me because my own grandmother(her sister) died when I was very young. Auntie Mary has since been the only "grandmother" I have known.

She has always been so supportive of what I do. She says she sees a lot of herself in me, the drive and ambition to become something great. She remembers when women did not have the rights they do today and is happy to have contributed to this freedom. Sadly, Auntie Mary passed away recently and it has really hit me hard. In her remembrance and honor I would love to share her story. A feature would mean the world to my family and I and ultimately to Auntie Mary.

Meet Auntie Mary.



Isn't she so cute!  She is 92 years young, sharp as a tack, and the sweetest woman I know.

My Grandmother passed away when I was a very young girl and I never got to know her.  But my Auntie Mary swooped in as the best stand in I could have ever asked for!  Being my Grandmother's older sister, she took on the role as proud segregate Grandmother serving up double doses of love and "homemade" pies.  She never sends me home without something sweet, lots of kisses and a magical fiver which, unbeknownst to me, somehow finds its way into my shirt or jeans pocket .  When we go up north, my family always makes a point to visit her for a cup of tea and a chat.  Her house is still one of my most favorite stops! And its not because of the cookies or change, but because of the way she squeezes my face and in her Eastern European accent calls me her baby then asks me if I've eaten something.  Because she is so absolutely wonderful I made her this!







It's a thank you for all she's done and continues to do for me.  Now it can love her as much as she loves me.

Make sure you give your Grandparent/Grandparents an extra long hug next time you see them.  I swear it will bring a little sunshine to both of your days!



Photobucket

8 comments:

Little Penpen said...

The quilt is beautiful and the story is even more beautiful. What a pretty Aunt Mary!

Jeanette said...

What a beautiful quilt, and a lovely story.

verpa said...

What a nice story, it really catches me - I´m your member from the Czech Republic. It´s great to hear that somebody was in 92 sharp as a tack.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Such a beautiful story and sweet tribute to Auntie Mary. Just priceless, the quilt is lovely.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

Sara said...

What a gem of a story to feature ladies!! Truly a remarkable pair that loved each other to no end!

Cathy said...

so lovely!!!!

Kathleen O'Grady said...

What a sweet story, so nice to read. Beautiful quilt as well.

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

ดูหนังออนไลน์
This is the perfection of sewing right, it's very useful.