Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, February 11, 2013

Fairly Merry-Hannah's Garden quilt...


Mary created this quilt for a friend who lost her pet. What a great gift. I love the Sunflower burst your eyes are drawn to. I also love how the color values match their pet.  You can read more of the story here. What a great gift to a friend. Mary is a fabric lover and quilter. She blogs at FairlyMerry, cute name. Here are her quilt finishes, amazing! Be sure to visit her blog...

I promised some photos of Hannah's Sunflower Garden quilted.  I didn't get photos of the completed quilt before gifting it.  They kicking and yelling graciously let me have it back for a few days for photos.  The husband had asked me to make his wife a sunflower quilt and a reminder of their pet who had passed on.  He was going to pay me, but as I took almost an entire year to find my rhythm with this quilt, I decided to gift it instead of taking payment.  (they are friends, so it wasn't too much of a stretch)


The sun hitting the quilt just so made it look especially bright.  Sunflowers should be happy, bright, fun, and make you feel good inside. Somewhat like a quilt.


Some of the quilting is grid style, I like to use that for stability.  I used FMQ to make sunflower petals through the panel pieces of the sunflower.  I also made small sunflowers in the center of the lighter blocks, you can see them well on the back.  



For the back I used a sunflower batik, and I was just a tad short of having enough for the entire back.  But, I used that to my advantage for something I wanted to add at the bottom.


In the quilting I wanted to add a small outline of 'Hannah' who was the pet of this quilts new owner.  Hannah was ill and went on to heaven before her time.  I traced a photo of Hannah and stitched over the outline on the back of the quilt.  You can barely see her on the front - as if she is hiding in the garden.  They had wanted a reminder of Hannah, but I didn't want the quilt to be sad, and this way, I feel as if she is there if they want to see her, but not obvious.  She was a very handsome dog!  


Here is the photo I used:
Hannah 

I received a very nice note from the quilts happy home, that alone was enough to make me all warm and fuzzy feeling inside.  But as we had talked about Hannah when I gave her the quilt and she said how sad she still was.  I encouraged her to make a home for a new dog - as that is what kept me going last summer when I had to let go of my own old girl.  In her note she told me that she was inspired to move on from her sadness and will bring home two boxer puppies later this month.  I will need to remind her later, that I did NOT in anyway encourage her to get two!  

Black and white showing value in the quilt.


Photobucket

7 comments:

Grammy T. said...

Megan I love this darling quilt!!

claudia said...

This quilt is beautiful. The story behind it brought tears. What a wonderful friend!

Toye said...

This is an amazing quilt. I hope that I will be able to be this creative one day.

Dana Gaffney said...

The quilt is so beautiful! I'm a big believer in opening your heart to a new furbaby after losing one, it fills that emptiness in the house and helps you heal. That said, two puppies!!? insanity! LOL.

Regina said...

Beautiful quilt - and what a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing this!

Cindy~ HeartandSewInspirations.com said...

This is a beautiful story! Such a special gift! I am 'sew' inspired by the fussy cut area, just gorgeous!! I also had never thought of taking a black and white photo to see the values of the blocks! I will do this from now on before I piece together. Thank you for sharing!

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

This is the perfection of sewing right, it's very useful.ดูหนังออนไลน์