Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Kristi from Schnitzel and Boo!

Hi friends!!  Today we have an AWESOME interview from Kristi of Schnitzel and Boo.  Kristi is the organizer of the fabulous mini quilt swap that Heather and I both participated in as well as pattern designer and creator of many fabulous things!! Take a few minutes and get to know her, it's a fun read!!!  Also catch her on her blog Schnitzel and Boo as well as on Instagram @schnitzelandboo

Megan: How long have you been sewing and what was your first project?

Kristi: I've been using a sewing machine since I was five years old. I had to call my mom to ask her what my first project was (my memory is terrible). She said "At that age it was always something for your dolls. But the first thing you made was that little blue dress for your baby doll, remember? You felt so bad for it because it was naked and cold." I do remember. The fabric was baby blue, kind of a gauzey-lineny stuff that frayed easily. I machine stitched the side seams and then gathered the neckline with needle and thread. The dress couldn't be removed but at least she wasn't naked and cold anymore!

Kristi's first block design

Kristi's first paper piecing (!!!)

Megan: What are your favorite things to sew & create?

Kristi: I love to sew almost anything and everything. But I don't like doing alterations and/or hemming. My rule is that if I didn't make it then I'm not going to fix it! I like to make dolls and toys because seeing a child get enjoyment out of something I put together makes me feel so good. But, on the other hand, the satisfaction and accomplishment of putting together a bag or quilt? There's nothing like it.

Custom Commissionaire Bag (Kristi's Pattern)

Kristi's sweet dolls!

Megan: How do you fit in time to be creative in your life?

Kristi: Being creative is my life. I have an incessant need to make something every day. It helps that my daughter is a Montessori student. Being independent is encouraged as much as possible. That's not to say that I don't pay any attention to her, I mean that she and I are allowed time to devote to our own projects every day. We both have dedicated time to "work" which is a pretty powerful thing for her to observe.

Kaleidoscope Quilt Top by Kristi (pattern from Cluck Click Sew)



Megan: What's a favorite sewing tip that you can share?

Kristi: Liquid Stitch Glue! I use it to apply zippers, ribbon, "pin" laminated fabric and to attach my labels. You can also use Elmer's Washable glue but I prefer Liquid Stitch because it's permanent. Good luck removing my label! Permanent brand recognition! Haha

Lobster made for Tula Pink (!!)

Megan: What sewing notion could you not live without?

Kristi: I just asked my husband what he thought and he said "Your seam ripper!" And then he snickered. Hmph! I don't use it that often! I would be totally lost without my 18" grid ruler. I use that on almost every project I do. I love my ruler. LOVE IT.


Megan: Do you have a favorite set of colors or style that you work within?

Kristi: Not necessarily. I like to explore and try new things. After 32 years of sewing, I feel like I've done almost everything. I do really enjoy paper piecing and using modern fabrics with traditional blocks. I avoid cutesy and expected fabrics in garment sewing as much as possible.


Megan: What's a recent favorite project and why?

Kristi: My friend Elizabeth [Dackson] (of Don't Call Me Betsy) and I decided to do an "epic swap" between the two of us. I was teaching a class on Noodle-Head's Cargo Duffle bag and Elizabeth jokingly said I should make one for her. I told her I would so she suggested a swap. Once we got going with it, we both found that we were so inspired by it that we each created a new pattern for the other. She created a pattern, "Drop Dead Gorgeous" for the mini quilt she sent to me and I just finished a bag for her,  "The Betsy Travel Bag". You can see sneak peeks of the bag and the quilt by searching our hashtag on Instagram: #theswapofepicproportions The bag is one of my most favorite things I have ever made in my entire sewing career. It's pretty epic!

Megan: Tell us more about you!

Kristi: I'll be 37 this year, I have two miniature dachshunds, Schnitzel McPoo and Fenway Frank. Fenway's number one nickname is "Buddy Boo", now you know where I came up with Schnitzel & Boo. I have one child, a sweet little girl known as "Roo" but that's not her real name, of course. My husband and I got married on March 11, 2008 which was a Tuesday. Yes, a Tuesday. Who does that? Well, I'll tell you...the longtime girlfriend of a 311 fan who couldn't believe she was finally a fiancée. (March 11=3/11.) I studied fashion design in college; I lived in New York City during 9/11; I fancy myself an amateur car buff and my ultimate dream car is a 1968 Chevy Camaro SS. My goal in this life is to save enough money from a successful pattern designing career that I can open an animal rescue. My heart breaks for those animals who are misplaced due to the death of an owner, earthquake/tornado etc or are mistreated, abused or unwanted because of a disability or special need.


Pinafore Dress 
Kristi's soon-to-be-released pattern

Sunday Dress 
Kristi's soon-to-be-released pattern


THANK YOU Kristi!!!!! I hope you all had fun getting to know her!!

Find her here: Schnitzel and Boo
Find her on instagram: @schnitzelandboo
Find her patterns HERE

Photobucket

No comments: