Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 14, 2014

The Cozy Pumpkin, a man quilt....

Amanda submitted this awesome quilt to us, made for her husband. I love the colors, the low volume background really makes the bursts pop! Her blog, The cozy Pumpkin is full of fun quilt and sewing projects. Here are her finishes, I love how she puts her fabrics together, so scrappy. You will find decorating ideas, embroidery, holiday projects there as well. She is a well rounded crafter!

My husband, Brian, has waited patiently while I've made quilts for so many others in the 3 years or so that I've been quilting.  Probably wondering...when will I get one?  He says he loves the one I bought him for his graduation gift way before I even knew how to turn on a sewing machine, and frankly he must because he's worn it out.  What he doesn't know is that I have been thinking about his quilt since I began making them.  What colors would it be?  Could I find fabrics that screamed "Brian" at me?  (I mean...not literally...that would be terrifying!!!  And loud.)  What pattern would it be?  One of my own design?  Could I possibly find the perfect pattern?

 Then once upon a time David Butler began designing fabrics and I had found my in.  I began collecting bits and pieces of every line of his, some Architextures, and bits of other fabrics in the right color range.  I had an ongoing battle in my head whether or not to make him that plus quilt design.  He's an engineer so it had to be something "logical."  I don't know if that makes sense, but that was the word in my head.  And then I found Denyse Schmidt's "Cog + Wheel" pattern.  All had fallen into place.
 Despite having the right plan and the right pieces.  For some reason I was nervous about beginning this quilt.  Cutting into the fabric...it was so definitive.  And while cutting into perfect fabric isn't easy generally speaking...this was more difficult than usual and then it was so "easy."

Every piece of this quilt is cut with scissors.  Darn templates with curves that make me too nervous to use a rotary.  But it was fun to really see the fabrics as I worked, not at a frenzied pace, but a little here...a little there.

 Once the quilt was pieced together it was time for quilting.  I hemmed and hawed over whether or not to use the included pattern for hand quilting.  Or to free motion.  Again...I was second guessing myself. But, I ultimately went with my highly detailed free motion design and went for it.  And again, I'm so glad I did!  While it won't be winning any awards, it is my most ambitious machine quilting to date.  And yes, it is done on my home machine...no long arming.
 The only slight frustration I had was I did my backing calculations in the quilt shop one day, rather than prepping at home.  Math is not my strength, and so I was cutting it REALLY close with my yardage apparently, and also dealing with some unfortunate cutting off of the bolt.  (Those bolts are pesky when they fabric isn't put on straight.)  That's why that lovely Parson Gray print on the back is not quite straight.  Oh well, how often are you staring at the back anyway?  Moving on.  So if we ignore the crooked backing and just look at that lovely mottled navy fabric...you can see the detail in the quilting design...
 I LOVE IT!!!  And I can't believe I did it...and with such great tension!  Supreme Slider my friends...best FMQ invention ever aside from gloves.
So if my husband's name is Brian...
why is the quilt titled "Curious Carl"?

Well, while researching homeschooling I happened upon some text on learning styles.  I was reading them after dinner while chatting with Brian, and began to chuckle.  The learning style entitled Competent Carl was a PERFECT descriptor of my husband.  But, due to his needing to know every detail of EVERYTHING...I altered the descriptive title to Curious Carl.  The Irish Claddagh symbol is on our wedding rings, and so I wanted it here as well, as we both have Irish ancestry.  This quilt is a great "wrap up"  (HA!) of my hubby.  The Cog + Wheel is very engineer-y in design.  The colors are so him.  The fabrics are graphic in nature.  But, in the low volume areas I snuck in a few pieces that are a little bit me.  Just to remind him of his wife who loves him so very much.  And to take it one little step further... I think it's appropriate that alongside ALL of the David Butler fabric, I added in one lovely Amy Butler print into the mix.  :)  

So, my "Curious Carl"...I hope you read this and know how much time, thought, and most importantly love that went into this quilt.  I love you for everything you bring into my life...even all of the questions.  ;)  Just like with Gabriel's quilt, I said a little prayer over this one and gave it a kiss and hug before placing it in the wash.

And then after it's solo photo shoot...


I let the kids give it some love as well.


Photobucket

14 comments:

Susan said...

What a complete and wonderful quilt story! The inspiration, the pattern, the quilting, even the label! Thank you for sharing Amanda's great quilt!

Izzy said...

What an amazing story and so beautifully written! Thank you so much for sharing. And now I'm off to check out Amanda's blog. :-)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Such a great post! The combination of all the elements is so perfect and makes for a gorgeous quilt!

The Cozy Pumpkin said...

Thank you so much for not only featuring my quilt but also for taking the time to look around my blog. :)

The Cozy Pumpkin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Menzer said...

Well, I just love the colors in this quilt! Thank you for sharing

ipatchandquilt said...

It is so perfect for your husband! Love the story behind your beauty!!!
Esther

QuiltCandy said...

What a wonderful quilt, and perfect for your husband! Such cute photos too, especially the last one!

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt - Amazing. It is so beautiful to hear the story behind it! Thank you for sharing Amanda's story it is fabulous. Marie x (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

Regina said...

Lovely! All the way around.

Carla said...

What a great pattern. Love it

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

Thank you very much for this blog, it's very helpful.ดูหนังออนไลน์