Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 29, 2011

Little Island Quilting cute swap quilt finish...


Cute blog swap quilt finish from Little Island Quilting, she was in a Brit Quilt Swap. I really like this quilt, I am not normally drawn to green and grey as a combination, but this quilt makes me change my mind!  Her blog is fun, and check out her Flickr for some great inspiration!



I know it's not for everyone but I love hand quilting and with a quilt as small as a Brit Quilt Swap quilt, it really doesn't take that long to finish a quilt. Added to which I personally find it less fiddly hand quilting small areas than stopping and starting when doing it by machine.


To get the straight radiating lines 'marked' on to the quilt top without actually marking the top, I use a hera marker.


I've had mine a while and as you can see, it looks like a blunt, small rotary cutter. The links I've given above to current hera markers look different but they still do the same job; namely making a temporary crease along which you can quilt. I'm not sure they'd work for more complicated designs but for simple straight marking and then hand quilting I think they can't be beaten.

All in all, despite a few points not quite 100% matching up, I'm really pleased with how this quilt has turned out...

...and I hope...


...my partner...(!)


...likes it too.


Meanwhile, I just have to decide who's name to write on the label ;-)


Photobucket

13 comments:

Crafty Newbie said...

That is absolutely beautiful! Nice Work!

CuriousJess said...

I think it is simply breathtaking I love love love the backing. And I found your little joke too.....lol

Lynette said...

Very nice!! She is sure to love it. :D

AnnieK said...

I do not see any unmatched points...are you using an electron microscope? It's fabulous!

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

How beautiful! And, I love her rustic photos -- their gorgeous!!!

Kristie said...

Yay, Alison!

Jan said...

Great quilt, and that includes the backing! I love hand quilting, too. Always nice to see because there is so little of it being done anymore, it seems.

jednoiglec said...

I've seen this wonderful quilt before and I love it!

Christie describeHappy said...

I really like how you made this star! Great colors and beautiful photos of the finished quilt too!

Jackie said...

Love the colours and the points look super!

Mary Marcotte said...

What a cute little quilt. I've never heard of a hera marker. I'll have to look into those....I make awful "straight" lines! Just like I can't draw straight, I can't seem to sew straight!

Char said...

Great quilt. Isn't the Hera marker great? I use mine all the time for straight line quilting.

Sylvia said...

Love this!