Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 22, 2011

Shattered Rainbow Quilt by ShapeMoth

I love rainbow quilts, you?  I just really love COLOR.  This quilt is so fabulous, I'm excited to share it with you!  Kirie from Shape Moth was inspired by a graphic to make this gorgeous piece.  On her blog Kirie shares her wonderful handiwork, free paper pieced patterns (see her sidebar) and even has a Tutorial Tuesday (where she teaches YOU!)...make sure to see stop by and see her after you read her feature :)
 
I think about 3 weeks ago I saw this graphic made by Andy Gilmore:


I was fascinated by the colour combination on this one. There is some order in this mess ;) So... I bought 4 charm packs of Kona cotton (dark, pastel, dusty and classic) to make it. After I finished what I previously planned, I thought the quilt would make a great picknick blanket.


And here it is: 'Shattered rainbow' quilt :D


I've sewn some emerald and candy green border and some more half-squares around. I used those charm squares which I had left. I really used almost all of those 4 charm packs. I'm only left with few blue ones, about 10 red and some brown squares...

I sewn the back, I quilted it (on my tiny machine) in diagonal lines, binded half by machine half by hand (on the back) and I'm proud of myself :D:D:D (although it looks crincled and wrincled...). My 'Shattered Rainbow' quilt is missing a label only.

Here it is (there's not much more to say to it ;) ):





The back:





Summary


Pattern: center part of the front based on graphic designed by A. Gilmore, the rest, me

Fabric: 4 charm packs of Kona cotton (classic, pastel, dusty and dark), 2y of Kona cotton Emerald, 1,5y Kona cotton candy green, 0,5y Kona cotton black, 8 layer cake squares of Bella solid

Quilting: me, diagonal lines

Thread: Madeira Aerofil 120



Photobucket

23 comments:

Kirsten said...

This is such a gorgoeus quilt and a great use of colour!

Karen en Marc said...

i just love those colors. What a neat job.

jestemsliczna@ said...

madness!! lovely :)

Sheila said...

Its a stunner, destined to be used and loved for a long time to come

My Life In Quilts said...

I really like this quilt! Thanks for showing us!

Canadian Abroad said...

That quilt makes me want to buy more solids.

the gathering girls said...

Thats a lovely quilt!!

Suzy Myers said...

Oh wow! Beautiful!! And I love that you were inspired by a graphic!

suzy

Jackie said...

Gorgeous!
Megan, I got your fabric package yesterday! Thanks so much=) I hope to get your zippered pouch out this weekend.

Marsha said...

Awesome!!!! I love how it turned out and the colors in the quilt. Great job.

Marsha
ivegonequilting.blogspot.com

Denise said...

Beautiful happy quilt!

Andrea said...

very nice work

The AfterCraft said...

That's so fun!!! Well done!

Binks said...

This is a really awesome piece. I love how you transferred an already gorgeous piece of art into a just as equally gorgeous art piece using a different medium.

LisaT said...

What a neat idea, love it!

Sarah Craig said...

Wow!!!

Mary Marcotte said...

Wow!!! is right! Loved the quilt show. Thanks!

Judee said...

Great quilt! Those solids really pop!

Beth said...

L.o.v.e. those colors. I have the very same charm packs and it never occurred to me to use them to such brilliant effect.

jednoiglec said...

This is wonderful quilt. So fresh!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beauty! You put as much work into the back as you do the front! Great work.

eileensideways said...

did u place the colors or is it totally random?

Jeanne Gwin said...

your quilt is absolutely gorgeous. I might have to get inventive. Thank you for sharing. Beautiful.