Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Undercover Crafter shares wonky stars!

Hollie from The Undercover Crafter is very talented! She's been creating practically her whole life.  Check out her Quatreflowers Quilt, so pretty!  If you'd like more eye candy see her flickr.  Make sure to say hi and see her blog...but check out these wonky stars first!

IMG_5023

Look what I just pulled out of the wash...

IMG_5014


My first commission is complete. Isn't it delicious? I really had such a fun time making this quilt for Nancy. Her brother recently welcomed a beautiful little boy into the world and this is her gift to her new little nephew. And I'm warning you now, I went a little overboard on the pictures.

IMG_5017


The original plan for the back was plain Robin's Egg Kona but I was just a tad shy on the yardage so I decided to add large squares of each of the fabrics from the stars on the front to help extend the width of the Kona solid. And I'm really glad I did. I think it added a lot to the back and showcases all the fabrics really well.

IMG_5022


I want to thank everyone who gave their input on both the layout and the quilting of this quilt. I loved all of the feedback. In the end Nancy won the Great Layout Debate (the quilt is for her after all) so the Central Park Zoo squares run diagonal through the middle and the subsequent rows are more orderly. As for the quilting, which sparked a little debate, I went with Natalie full force on this one. I favored Option #3 and then not only echo quilted around each star but I also echoed each long seam on either side.

IMG_5019


IMG_5020


I really love the patterns the quilting created. And I think on the next wonky star quilt (because I am sure there is another in my future) I may play more with echoing the stars both on the inside and out.

IMG_5024


I think the binding may be my favorite part of the quilt, though. I think the orange dots provide the perfect amount of contrast and color to the quilt. I really am dying to run back to my LQS to pick up some more yardage for my stash. I think it makes a terrific binding.

IMG_5033

IMG_5034


Alas, I think completing this quilt brings my Wonky Star Madness to an (temporary) end. I hope Nancy is pleased with the final outcome and this quilt provides her nephew with years of warmth and comfort.
Photobucket


15 comments:

Canadian Abroad said...

Gorgeous boy quilt. I love wonky stars.

Mary Marcotte said...

Beautiful! That binding is the perfect frame.

Thearica said...

Cute quilt but I am like you...the binding is the cat's meow!!

Kirsty said...

Fabulous! Perfect binding - I'm a bit in love with Amy Butler's dot fabrics for the same reason - and the choice of overall fabrics is wonderfully balanced and playful whilst being great for a boy. Well done!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Adorable quilt! I love stars, that pattern and colours with grey! Perfect!

Seams Sew Together said...

Adorable, I love wonky star quilts, also I am now following you guys. love your blog its so inspiring!

Melissa @Lilac Lane said...

Still love it Hollie!

bevkimmel said...

I agree the binding is perfect. I want to make a quilt like this!!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for featuring this quilt. I am still totally in love with it and so Nancy's nephew. And thanks for all the wonky star love everyone!

Krista Schneider said...

i love it! inspiration, for sure :D

Nicky said...

what a twinklingly good quilt - I'm sure he will love it!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a sweet quilt and the binding is perfect!

Patchwork Sisters said...

Very nice! can't have to many pictures of a pretty quilt.

Judee said...

Looks really good. I like your trick on the backing.

Go-Go Kim said...

Super cool and I love the quilting!!!!