Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 15, 2011

Mamaka Mills custom memory quilt, for a family...

Mamaka Mills is a recycled fabric and custom memory quilter. She made this darling quilt for a family who lost their 5 year old daughter using her clothing and other fabrics sentimental to them.  You can read more about this family here.  I think this is such a sweet service for families. So special... Be sure to check out Mamaka Mills Blog.

This is a custom memory quilt that I made for a family using lots of recycled clothing and very sentimental fabrics. As you can see in this pic, a lot of the clothing was vintage, belonging to a couple generations...


mamaka mills recycled custom quilt made from clothing 9
There were pieces of clothing as well as bits of fabrics from old sofas, curtains and handmade items that were of sentimental value to the family...
mamaka mills recycled custom quilt made from clothing 11
I had to first interface the clothing that was knit or too weak to withstand quilting. There were also some old fashioned swimming bloomers (lined with a waterproof plastic) that I had to attach some non woven interfacing to.
mamaka mills recycled custom quilt made from clothing 10
I then started to cut the pieces into strips and proceeded to sew!
mamaka mills recycled custom quilt made from clothing 13
mamaka mills recycled custom quilt made from clothing 8
mamaka mills recycled custom quilt made from clothing 12
I then finished the quilt with a double heart pantograph, of their choosing.
The border was done with clothing from their young grand daughter, 
who had passed away the previous year.
mamaka mills recycled custom quilt made from clothing 6
mamaka mills recycled custom quilt made from clothing
mamaka mills recycled custom quilt made from clothing 3
mamaka mills recycled custom quilt made from clothing 2
On the back of the quilt I used some of their old t shirts that I wanted to keep whole instead of cutting them up into small strips.
mamaka mills recycled custom quilt made from clothing 7
I think this quilt came out beautifully and the family was so happy with it when I was done. :)

Photobucket

11 comments:

SzycieUli / UlaSewing said...

It's beautiful! I love quilts made from baby's clothes. It's special and so lovely service for this family!

patty a. said...

This quilt is fantastic. I am alway so fearful of cutting up the clothing - I just don't want to mess it up, but your end result is perfect! Great job and thanks for the inspiration!

Impera Magna said...

I can see why the family was thrilled with this quilt... it's beautiful! You did a fantastic job... congratulations!

Shabby Marilyn said...

Lovely and sweet. How rewarding to give a treasure for the family.

Needled Mom said...

I can imagine how much they loved this quilt. Beautiful!

Leslie said...

these are absolutely amazing!!!

Gmama Jane said...

Lovely idea! What a wonderful way to memorialize someone in a meaningful way.
God Bless
Gmama Jane

Janith said...

Absolutely fabulous. What a gift you have!

noga quilts said...

What a beautiful thing to do. so heart warming! A real gift

Shabby Marilyn said...

Lovely memory quilt. I have done the t-shirt ones and such a wonderful way to save memories, this quilt is precious.

Tommy(R) said...

I have been wondering for a long time where I could find a worthy girl. So, not so long ago my friends recommended me an excellent site to find ukrainian brides. And I was able to get acquainted with my wife through this site. We have been happily married for 2 years and soon we will have a baby. I am just happy that I have not hesitated and turned to this site, because they really employ professionals who can find you the best couple in the shortest possible time.