Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, October 21, 2013

I love NY quilt from Quilt Candy...

Sarah from Quilt Candy submitted this awesome modern I heart NY quilt. Sarah has a lot of fun quilt finishes here. She also sells quilts and buntings here, cute stuff. We are so happy Sarah shared her neat quilt with us. What a fun modern quilt with unique fabrics. Love it!

I was pottering about the kitchen one morning when I heard a load 'thud' of mail land on the floor.  Nothing unusual, as I'm no stranger to ordering fabric online :-)  But there was an unfamiliar looking package addressed to me and I was pretty sure I hadn't ordered anything recently...

I opened it up and this was inside...

Wow!  So much gorgeous fabric, featuring New York Skylines, a map of the Subway and a wonderful multicoloured illustrated map.  I knew immediately who it was from...my wonderful blogging friend Chrissie, who lives in New York! 

I was completely overwhelmed by her generosity and totally in love with these gorgeous fabrics, which I soon learnt were from a design collection made exclusively for The City Quilter, the Mecca of quilting shops in New York.  After much stroking and admiring, it suddenly dawned on me – I was going to have to make something with them, and it had to be fabulous – oh the pressure!

I am lucky enough to say I've been to New York before.  It was back in 2004, with my mum, for 5 days.  We did all the sights; Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Times Square, Central Park, Bloomingdales, Macy's, Broadway, you name it.  And despite the rain and the cold (oh my goodness, I have never been so cold!) I can genuinely say that I did love New York.  So this was the inspiration for my quilt.


The design I had in mind needed a little more of the white fabric, so I found myself on the City Quilter website, where I came across a wonderful New York Times print, that was an off white, and worked  perfectly with the black on white city scape print for the background of my quilt. 

I loved the idea of a text quilt with text print, so I chose to write the words 'I Heart NY' in squares.  The writing was made up of the subway print and the white on back skyline print.  I think the heart is my favourite bit of all.




For the backing, Chrissie very generously supplied me with several metres (or should I say yards) of this wonderful illustrated map of New York print.


 

I just love how the colours are such a wonderful contrast compared with the black and white front of the quilt. 





The colours of the map are just fantastic, and there's so much detail to pour over. It makes it practically a double sided quilt!




Can you see the quilting?  I opted for ½ inch either side of the seam lines, both vertically and horizontally.  I wanted it to be linear, to represent the grid like formation of the streets and avenues of NYC.  My goodness my mum and I had fun navigating those while we were there! 

Finally, I used some of the black skyline print to bind the quilt. 


And then I was posed with another challenge.  I needed to photograph the quilt.  But I don't live in New York.  I live on a tiny island, surrounded by views like this;


And it didn't seem right to photograph my NY quilt against the skyline of the (very small) local town.  That would be false advertising! 

So an empty car park was the most fitting option.  Grey, concrete and linear. 



And blowing a gale and freezing cold!

This is a truly special quilt for me.  Now I can wrap myself in it, and think of my wonderful friendship with Chrissie, and how we have got to know one another and shared so much. Thank you so much for such a generous gift Chrissie, it means the world to me!  Hopefully it will only be a matter of time before I head to New York again so that we can finally meet, and I'll be taking my quilt with me :-) 


Sarah x

Photobucket

17 comments:

Lauren Deel said...

I {heart} NY, too! What a great quilt, and what a sweet friend Chrissie is!

jan said...

Sarah! I love your quilt. How sweet of Chrissie too! I just love how some quilts have a special meaning.
And the photo shoot was a great location.
xo jan

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Wow, Sarah, I did the easy bit posting The City Quilter fabrics to you! - all the praise lies with you and your fabulous quilt which I love. Fabulous work as always, hugs Chrissie :D x

Mack and Mabel said...

Wow! It's lovely, Sarah, and your photo shoot location is just right for it. How wonderful to have a friend who knows just what you'd like, and buys it for you, too :-)

Books_Bound said...

Wonderful quilt! I love how you used the text fabric on the front--it's so busy, which is very NYC! Sorry you froze your tail off on your visit--maybe that makes the "quilt" part an even more appropriate way to remember your time there. :)

Jessica said...

This is so creative! Love love love!

Jessica said...

This is so creative! Love love love!

Jessica said...

This is so creative! Love love love!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Loving that the Jersey car park is playing at being some New Jersey metropolis!! xxx

Jane S. said...

Wowwwww, that is GREAT fabric! Lucky you to have a friend like Chrissie! :)

maria said...

Fabulous quilt. My brother lives in NYC, it's a great place to visit.

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

You certainly did that fabric some beautiful justice - love it :)

Thimble Fingers said...

I've been lucky enough to see it in person, and its even more spectacular in real life. Sarah's work is always of the highest standard and the different colour schemes on either side are wonderful. The colourful side so vibrant and exciting, and the black and white side so crisp and cosmopolitan.

QuiltCandy said...

Thank you to everyone for all your kind comments, I really appreciate it! Big love to this wonderful quilty blogging community! And thanks so much to Quilt Story for featuring me xxx

Karina said...

That is beauty indeed. Let me tell you that my daughter is going to visit NY mext January. I would like make her a quilt with that fabric design. Could you please tell me where can she get that piece of fabric in NY? Do you have any address? Thank you very much in advance !

Blogger said...

The New York Pass is like a credit card - which gives you fully cash free admission to over 80 popular New York tourist attractions.

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

You did a great job and I'm looking forward to the next results.ดูหนังออนไลน์