Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, October 4, 2013

Patchwork Frames Quilt from The Sewing Chick

Great feature today from Tessa of The Sewing Chick!   I love this sweet quilt!  Excellent fussy cut quilt.  And it is from Tasha Noel's line Simple Life.  The sweet little floral in this collection is one of my favorite.  Ever.  Tessa is our fabulous friend who sent Heather this amazing collection of Heather Ross prints...I'm patiently waiting by my mail for my cut! :)  Stop by The Sewing Chick...great sewing blog with lots of impressive finishes and tutorials. Thanks again Tessa!!
vintage and modern patchwork quilt by Tessa Marie

This week, I quilted and bound the Patchwork Frames quilt. This pattern was created by Beth at Plum and June and is available for free here. It is a super way to highlight a cute novelty fabric as I have done here with Tasha Noel's The Simple Life. Beth's directions were easy to understand and her diagrams were clear. She also includes several layouts and the cutting directions for each. I wanted a baby/toddler size so just made nine frames (each measures 12" without the sashing). I mixed things up a little by varying the placement of the fussy cut center in each block.

vintage and modern patchwork quilt by tessa marie handmade


I did an all over free motion quilting design of loops and hearts. You can see that they are kind of uneven and vary in size, but that's what I like best about free motion quilting. The irregularities are what gives it charm and that done by hand look that I love. Maybe that's just what I tell myself and I do try to get the design as even as I can, but I really do prefer it to not look like it was done by a computer.


close up of loopy quilting by tessa marie handmade


For the back, I used this beautiful print from Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane collection. I am and will always be a huge HB fan - this collection reminds me of vintage sheets.




The binding is a red and white stripe from Timeless Treasures. I would have preferred to use the red gingham, but I didn't have enough left and sometimes you have to use what you've got! I machine stitched the binding, but this time I experimented with cutting the strips 2 1/4" instead of 2 1/2". I had some gaps so I think I will stick with the wider strip and a generous 1/4" seam allowance.


detail of machine stitched binding


You can read more about the construction of the quilt top here and here.

I also thought it would be interesting to see Beth's pattern in all solids. Now, modern minimal is not my usual style, but I do love color so playing with all these solids was fun!


modern patchwork frames quilt by tessa marie handmade


I utilized a bunch of Kona cotton charms that I got from a swap last year as well as a charm pack of Michael Miller Cotton Couture and leftover solid scraps. I spent waaaay too long deliberating over color choices but am pretty pleased with the gradient color effect. Don't you just love the way the same pattern can have a totally different look depending on your fabric choices and layout!! I know I do!




Photobucket

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how it looks in the solids. Super cool!

ipatchandquilt said...

The quilt is adorable, but the colour blocks are amazing!
Just gorgeous!!!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

Tessa @ TheSewingChick said...

Thank you so much for featuring my quilt!! You girls are awesome!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great quilt and quilting!

Anonymous said...

How gorgeous couldn't think of a nicer quilter to feature. Tessa's work in just amazing.

tealeafquilts said...

I love both of these quilts! What an amazing pattern and use of color!

tealeafquilts said...

P.S. I love the binding! And I like how you used the straight stripe vs sewing it as a bias stripe. Maybe you did this because you didn't have enough fabric. I just completed a christmas quilt using the same straight stripe for the binding and it is just what I wanted. And I definitely didn't have enough fabric to cut it on the bias!

Mary Menzer said...

I love that soft green background fabric you used on the first quilt. I love the idea of featuring the same pattern with completely different fabrics. You highlighted how fabric choices make all the difference with a quilt. Love them both!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! What a beautiful and sweet quilt! Your idea to use solids was great and made fantastic blocks! x Teje

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

ดูหนังออนไลน์ Your work will be popular and from now on you should keep doing it.